Welcome to Fustic House, a luxurious early 18th century stately home quietly tucked away on the northern part of Barbados’ stunning platinum West coast in St Lucy. Sitting proudly on a coral ridge, Fustic House boasts breathtaking views of the coastline. With seven luxury suites spread across four separate wings, and with over 13,000 square feet of living space, this villa is the ideal place for large groups to holiday, and lends itself perfectly to wedding parties searching for a unique setting for their special ceremony.
Set within 11 acres of mature gardens, special features include a delightful park of mahogany trees, a charming koi-filled lotus lake, and an abundance of space for relaxing strolls to absorb the tranquility of the natural surroundings. The impressive grounds were originally designed by the award-winning landscape designer Todd Langstaffe-Gowan, who created the stunning gardens at the Royal Palace of Hampton Court. The property owners are also avid horticulturalists and have recently updated the grounds to create an oasis of tropical sights and sounds. Several seating areas can be found dotted around the extensive terraced gardens, meaning there’s always a spot to while away a few idyllic hours.
The house itself is constructed in beautiful coral stone and was re-designed between the late 60s and early 70s by the celebrated theatrical designer, Oliver Messel for Charles Graves (brother of the poet Robert Graves). One of Messel’s most enduring skills was in blending together the indoor and outdoor spaces, and this clever art of blending interiors with exteriors is clearly evident at Fustic House.
The interior of this home exudes quality and timeless elegance, and the classic décor creates a feeling of luxury, complimented by gorgeous yet cosy furnishings. The rooms are light and airy and the coral stone walls feature archways out onto the pretty terrace with views of the turquoise sea beyond. The large dining room includes lovely rustic features such as the long timber table set on warm stone tiles. Here you’ll find more arches to the exterior, offering an enchanting view of the courtyard and on those warm nights you can also dine out on the terrace.
The exquisite master suite is within the Great House, offering amazing views and features a guest bedroom, library and salon on the upper floor. The adjoining Messel Wing has two additional suites with a huge sun terrace. Connected via winding pathways, the Plantation Wing and the Pavilion are close by, but at the same time offer a great deal of privacy. There are two large suites within the Plantation Wing, both with private outdoor showers, an open atrium and central sitting court with an exercise/games room. The Pavilion is set amidst a unique tropical ravine and offers a further bedroom suite with an outdoor shower, kitchenette and media/reception room with a state of the art home cinema - 60" plasma high definition TV, Blu Ray DVD and a Martin Logan electrostatic speaker sound system. This area is wrapped around with a purple heartwood terracing and features a mahogany tree growing through the west deck.
Some of the loveliest features of this property is the gorgeous swimming pool, which can be found nestled amongst the gardens. Taking on the form of a natural lagoon, it is fed by ionized water, giving it the feel of swimming in a natural spring. Clever lighting from below creates a most magical and romantic setting under the stars. A large sun deck sits alongside the pool and is built amongst trees over the ravine-like a giant treehouse. There are several terraces to choose from, so you can opt to dine in the shade or indulge in some afternoon tea in the sunshine. Dotted with colourful flowers and plants, the garden is the perfect place to enjoy some quiet time reading or sunbathing.
Guests also have the use of the owner's beachfront Day-House, located just a 5-minute walk at Half Moon Fort. This is a fabulous place to relax on the patio and savour a tasty lunch prepared by the talented Fustic House chef, Andy Taylor (formally of The Lonestar Restaurant and Maddox fame) or to enjoy evening cocktails as the sun sets over the water. A beautiful white-sand beach is close by, with swimming and snorkelling in the beckoning pristine blue water.
There is a fantastic villa team that looks after this property to ensure it is kept at a very high standard. And we also include a wonderful Concierge Service who will be delighted to assist with all your concierge arrangements including airport fast-track assistance, airport transfers, car rental, restaurant reservations, tours and excursions and much more.
- Bedroom 1 Great House: Master Bedroom: King size bed, en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning
- Bedroom 2 Great House: Wisteria Suite: King size bed, air-conditioning
- Bedroom 3 Messel Wing: Sunset Suite: 2 Twin beds, en-suite, air-conditioning
- Bedroom 4 Messel Wing: Seaview Suite: 2 Twin beds, en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning
- Bedroom 5 Plantation Wing: Mahogany Suite: King size bed, en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning
- Bedroom 6 Plantation Wing: Wicker Suite: King size bed, en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning
- Bedroom 7 Pavilion: King size bed, air-conditioning
- Master Bathroom Tub, Shower, Double Vanity
- Wisteria Suite Bathroom: Bathroom Adjacent, shower only, single vanity
- Sunset Suite Bathroom: Shower only, single vanity
- Seaview Suite Bathroom: Shower only, single vanity
- Mahogany Suite Bathroom: Tub, outdoor shower, double vanity
- Wicker Suite Bathroom: Tub, outdoor shower, double vanity
- Pavilion Bathroom: Bathroom adjacent, outdoor shower, single vanity
- Owner's Representative
- Chef - Professional Chef offers five-star cuisine
- Kitchen Assistant
- 3 Housekeepers, including a laundress
- Estate Manager
- 3 - 4 Gardeners
- 24-hour Security
• CD Player
• Ceiling Fans
• Fax Machine
• Outdoor Shower
• TV with Cable & DVD Player
• Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
• Security Safe
• Watersports by request
• All linen and soft furnishings from India by Lindsay Taylor
• Complete privacy in 11 acres of landscaped tropical gardens
• State of the art Home Theater System
• Bose sound systems in all suites
• Use of Port St Charles Yacht Club with a lagoon front restaurant, bar, swimming pool and beach facilities
• Small on-property gym with free weights, yoga and pilates equipment, children’s play area, table tennis, volleyball, Croquet, badminton, trampoline, seesaw and swing
• Sandy and quiet beach at Half Moon Fort Fishing Village (5-minute walk from the Tropical Ravine)
• World famous, Oliver Messel designed, lagoon-style pool built into the coral ridge- 48ft x 17ft; 3ft at the shallow end and 6ft at the deep end
• Children are welcome - there is a games room in the Plantation Wing and a large trampoline in the grounds
• Minimum stay: 5 nights
As a guest of this villa, you will be superbly positioned, just a few minutes’ drive from Speightstown, a charming and vibrant center of activity featuring many historical buildings and 15 minutes’ drive from Holetown, where you will find some of the best shopping in Barbados. Holetown also offers a fine selection of bars and restaurants to choose from, duty free shopping as well as many high-end stores and boutiques to browse.
For the more active guest, there are superb sporting facilities close by, including fabulous tennis facilities and a gym at Holetown and wonderful golf courses including three beautiful courses at Sandy Lane and a further, very challenging course at Royal Westmoreland which boasts an ocean view from every hole.